Saturday, June 8, 2013

Toilet Talk

I googled "things to do with a used toilet" and apparently, using your old toilet as a flower pot is the most common thing people do with the old pot. Below are few examples of this.


 

 
Not too long before we left Maine, I received a call from a friend who asked if me and my boys could come and help her load her used toilet into her car so she could take it to the dump. As soon as I saw the toilet I knew we had a use for it.
 
Some of you may remember that last year when we came here to Siquatepeque to study Spanish at the Spanish Language Institute for two months, we helped repair a friend's house whose adobe wall was beginning to crack and fall away. Many of you who were following my other blog at that time generously helped us with this project. Well, the one thing we were unable to complete was the bathroom. Although the owner of the house obviously had a bathroom, when we rebuilt the walls of her house we made room for another bath in a corner of the bedroom. 
 
My friend Pam was elated to know that her old toilet would end up in Honduras. It was one of the first things I loaded in the trailer and eventually, after getting settled in here, we were able to install it.
 
A good friend of mine who seems to be showing up in a lot of my blog post lately helped me put it in. Actually, as he is very handy and I am not, it was the other way around.  Ok, to be really honest, I watched as he put it in. Anyway, I am not going to post his name here out of consideration for his feelings, but some of you may recognize him.
 
And to our friend Pam back home, I'll bet you never dreamed that old toilet of yours would actually make it to Honduras. Thanks!
 
Anonymous man sitting on toilet

No comments:

Post a Comment