Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Preparing for Our First STM Team

On Saturday our first Go and See Ministries short-term missions team will be arriving! Our home church, New Generation Fellowship in Jacksonville, FL is sending 10 people to help us with a water project. Half of the team, as well as Barbe and the boys and a few other friends from here, will also be doing some other projects and a VBS in Oriente, one of the aldeas near Siguatepeque.

Joining together with our team will be another team from the great State of Texas. Somehow, two teams were booked to the same location for the same week and Mark Fittz and I decided to join forces and unite the two teams. I really think that this is going to be a God send, no pun intended, because I will need to concentrate the majority of my time on the water project and wouldn't have the time really needed to devote to the children's work. Some of his group will also be helping us with the water project.

Hotel rooms have been booked, a lunch and dinner menu prepared and the projects readied. The boys and I, especially Benjamin, have been going through the well drilling rig. After setting for over a year, (the last time it was used was when we drilled over a year ago near PiƱa Blanca), the carburetor had dried up and the tires had rotted on the pump chassis, but we got it all running again.


Although the guys from Wisconsin who built the drill rig did an awesome job, the "slip" left something to be desired. One of things I have always loved doing is improving on someone else's design or just designing my own widgets from scratch. I have often in the past bought a new $70,000 trailer and sent it immediately to the fab shop to be cut and welded on. Robin Harnden, at Robin's Welding in Wilton, Maine, is an artist with a torch and a MIG welder. Fortunately here in Siguat I have found Wilmer, at Industrias Metalicas Matta. He takes the same pride in his work as does Robin. I give both of them my highest recommendation. So anyway, I gave Wilmer my new and improved slip design. I had to tweak it a time or two, but now we just need to test it to see if the designer knew what he was doing. It should be much safer and efficient.


"\Slip" on the well rig.
We are really, really looking forward to seeing our friends from Florida. Can't wait to spend a week with you guys here in Honduras!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment