Monday, June 3, 2013

Special Thanks to All of You

I wanted to take just a minute to write and thank so many of you for telling us that you were praying for Barbe and me or thinking of us. Also, I am always amazed at how many people thank me for the "transparency" with which I sometimes write. They tell me that these post are the ones that are most meaningful to them. It affirms my personal conviction that, religious beliefs aside, each of us wants a place or some one with whom we can be completely ourselves, completely honest.

Some of us are very uncomfortable with that idea. It's hard enough to be honest with ourselves, let alone another person. I personally have sought out through the years a few close friends, men with whom I can be completely honest and who will stand by me even when they see the ugly side of me. Rick, Bob, Jim...you know who you are and the friendships we share have withstood both the distance and the passage of time. Thank you.

It is not always easy for me to write this way. I actually know many of you who follow my blog,. When I write the things which are close to my heart, I never want to hurt anyone. For instance, as I reread my last post I came across the place where I mention the fact that many missionaries that I know struggle with being here. That is not a bad thing. It is not something to be ashamed of or to hide from people. The fact that you are here and remain here says more than anything else about your calling. For those of us who love it here, it is NOT a hardship. We aren't the heroes, you are. If you are one of those who struggle, who miss home...it's okay. Let others know that for you it is difficult and let them know the reason you remain. You will be amazed at the blessing you will be to people here and in the States. Believe me, my hat is off to you.

For the folks back home I want to express this to you. Don't place people like missionaries or pastors on a pedestal and then expect them to be honest about their failures and struggles. It is both unfair and unrealistic to have any expectations of others higher than those you expect from yourself. If you have placed them on a pedestal, give them permission to come down. Everyone will be far happier if you do.

So, in other news, Barbe and I have been enjoying a quiet week together since Wednesday night. The only fight we have had was on the paintball course. And even there we were on the same team. If I remember correctly, we did go up against our sons who fired on us without mercy. This was my first time to play paintball, so much of it was a blur, but I can tell you firsthand that it hurts when you get hit.

It also gave me a knew appreciation for our soldiers. I know that this doesn't even come close to real combat, but as paint balls snicked through the leaves over my head and as I sweated and crawled through the dirt trying to avoid the sting of being hit, I thought of our men and women in places like Iraq and Afghanistan where it is 130 degrees F and they wear body armor and field gear and the rounds in the air are not plastic, filled with paint. I thought also of my own father as a young man many years ago, even younger than my son Mark, in combat in Korea, freezing, tired, scared and wounded.

So, be courageous, be honest and be real. Find a good friend who you can lean on. And for heaven's sake, if you've managed to get yourself on a pedestal, will you please come down? I give you permission to do so and I'm pretty sure there's a whole lot of others who do too.


Our teams, Siguatepeque, HN
 

No comments:

Post a Comment