Thursday, August 29, 2013

Robbed

Mark had a really great time back in the States. Walking into the airport and seeing him there was awesome. It is good to have him back.

We left the airport around 7:15 and drove into San Pedro Sula. I had a part to pick up for the well drilling rig and we decided to swing into the McDonald's just before downtown SPS for a quick breakfast. It's an area of fast food restaurants and shopping plazas, all which have guards and fairly secure parking...or so I thought.

Locking the car, we left Mark's suitcase loaded with necessities from home and his back pack with his brand new computer in it as well as passport and iPod in the back seat behind heavily tinted windows. Twenty minutes later we came back out, opened the door and...everything was gone, even Barbe's camera. We were in shock for several minutes, then pissed off and then...

Apparently, according to the surveillance camera, two cars pulled in shortly after we parked and within two minutes had punched out the door lock, cleaned out the car with the exception of a bag of bananas and were gone, politely closing the door after themselves. I'm pretty sure they followed us from the airport, watching for their chance. Fortunately for us, that chance was while we were not in the car. These guys usually don't worry about killing people.

I kicked myself for not parking in front of the windows, for not setting the alarm, for not having Mark bring his backpack in with him...for being to trusting, for being to slack. Kick, kick, kick.

Can I have one of those honest moments with you again? Yeh? Thanks. You know what one of the hardest things for me was/is? Seeing my son so happy to be back, having just had a really awesome time in the States...a place where he would really rather be...and 10 minutes after getting here being robbed of literally everything he owns. Seriously, he has the clothes on his back left. I could see the tiredness from the all night flight hit him, the disappointment, the hurt, and me, still being his Daddy...I wanted to shoot someone, or at the very least break some one's nose. I planned all kinds of sting operations, ya' no, like flash cash in the airport and then sit in the back seat with a shotgun and wait for them to open the door into eternity. Shockingly unrighteous stuff for a quasi missionary.

Another missionary who has been here for a long time said this to me when I talked to him about these feelings, "Mike, Honduras can really beat your kids up." Personally, I don't think it's just Honduras. I think Kenya, or South Africa, or Brazil or...any place that's not your home can do this to you. I hate the possibility that he could be right.

So, our innocence is gone. The reality of life in Honduras has finally hit home. This kind of stuff and worse happens here a lot, not so much in Sigaut, but in the cities, and these guys are almost never caught or even pursued. But here's what I've been thinking over. There's a several ways I can go with this. I can say that the toll on us isn't worth it, the risk to my family isn't worth it and head for home. Or... I can do what I see so many others here do; get really cynical about the culture, the government and people and hide behind walls and not go anywhere or do anything, you know, let the fear control me. OR... I can learn from this, be more on my guard and realize that if we are going to live here, then this comes with the territory.

I can tell you this; I don't want to turn cynical, stop loving people, stop reaching out, stop trusting. If I allow that to happen I might just as well go home because I will be of no earthly or heavenly use here. I can't allow one or two bad guys who I never even met face to face replace in my heart and mind the thousands of kind and caring people I have met here.

If God has called us here, and everyday that goes by I am more convinced of that, then I must come to terms with the fact that things like this will happen. It's part of life here and you can only protect yourself so far, the rest is up to God. And really...that's true no matter where you live. 

13 comments:

  1. It happens everywhere including the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it does, but it is different here. For instance it is a rather common occurance for a man to get on a city bus and point a gun at everyone and rob the entire bus...or shoot the driver. Also there is almost no effort by the police to even try to find the criminals.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you. Sad but true that this has to be part of your life. My heart went out to you all. Such a terrible thing. Poor mark. I love you all and really what matters is you are safe. No one was hurt. Thank God! love you, Amy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life goes on and Mark is actually doing very well.

      Delete
  3. Michael, I am so sorry for what has happened to you. As a Honduran, I ask you to please forgive us. Millions of Hondurans -I am one of them- love American people, especially the American Missionaries who brought us the Gospel at the end of the 1800s, who have demonstrated to us the love of God in practical ways. I am forever thankful to the Lord for the love, compassion and generosity of the American people toward Honduras. I am a product of somebody´s mission trip to this Country, and I thank God for it. I am so sad and concerned for what is happening in my Nation. We all are living in fear. I love what you wrote: "I don't want to turn cynical, stop loving people, stop reaching out, stop trusting. If I allow that to happen I might just as well go home because I will be of no earthly or heavenly use here. I can't allow one or two bad guys who I never even met face to face replace in my heart and mind the thousands of kind and caring people I have met here". Thank you and your Family for loving Honduras and the Honduras no matter what. YOU ARE A BLESSING!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! There is really nothing to forgive. There are good people and bad people everywhere. For those of us who love God, we must follow His commands. Part of those commands are to stand and fight against injustice. It is a hard fight here as fear controls so many. One of my favorite quotes is this, All it takes for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing". At some point we must say enough is enough!
      Thank you for your words of encouragement. I love it here!!!!! even with the problems we all face each day.

      Delete
  4. So sorry to hear this, Mike! I know it was harder on you since these things all belonged to your son than it would have been if they took your own things! I am thankful that the Holy Spirit helped you realize that all Hondurans are not to blame for the actions of some! There are so many more people in Honduras that are kind, loving and just as vulnerable to being robbed! And as you also said, it could have happened here in the U.S. and does all the time! I am anxious to see how God will "turn this around for good" and make a curse into a blessing! God bless you and your family for your faith and commitment to Jesus Christ! --See you soon! Sheena Rader\

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sheena. See you soon...we'll have to do dinner again.

      Delete
  5. Good conclusion brother! God's Blessings to you and your family & ministry as you are led by His Spirit! Allen Little FB Page.....Repairer of the Breach Ministry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my favorite post so far! It is SO encouraging to me to see your attitude and willingness to continue on in what God has called you to do! I can't wait to come down and work with ya'll in Honduras!!

    ReplyDelete