Wednesday, August 21, 2013

A Whirlwind Last Few Weeks

The past two weeks have been a whirlwind of activity. As a matter of fact I would place last week as possibly one the most productive weeks of my life, certainly one of the most interesting.

Between hosting a business partner from the States, several days spent in both San Pedro Sula and Tegucigalpa in meetings with top government officials and businessmen, meetings at a hospital, two children's homes and evenings spent with some very unique individuals, there was very little time for anything else.

This Monday we finally were able to begin drilling a well in Oriente, a much anticipated event. I'll do another post on that as it has been interesting, to say the least. We are praying that we will hit water, as the community of Oriente only receives water every eight days at most, and then only a pila full.

Oxen pulling our trailer into the well site as it was inaccessible by pickup.
The weather has been superb here in Sigautepeque. I don't know what other years have been like, but so far I love the "rainy" season. Usually the days are beautiful, but about 6 o'clock a storm will roll in to wash the sky and the streets of dust and to turn the hills a verdant green. Temperatures have been in the high 70's to low 80's, surprisingly mild, as we are further south and closer to the equater than Miami. Of course the higher elevation has something to do with that. Down on the North Coast or in San Pedro Sula it's an entirely different story. Far hotter and much more humid.

A beautiful day filled with adventure.
The small Bible study we do every other Sunday afternoon in Cerro Azul , a small village at the end of the road far up in a narrow valley between mountain peaks, has been a real blessing to us. Last Sunday, as I sat on the front porch where we meet, relaxing, listening to the sound of the river as it rushed downhill over huge rocks, a gentle breeze making the afternoon idyllic, I realized that after all the hustle and bustle of the past week, all the important meetings and events, there really was no place I'd rather be at that moment than right there studying the Bible with these people who have become friends.

Everyday I am so thankful that we have the awesome privilege to be here, doing the things we are doing. living a life that few people will ever live. Jesus says in the Gospels that if you lose your life for His sake, you will find it. Before we came down here, as I was letting go of the things we had, my business, America, family and friends, I thought a lot about this Biblical principle. I wondered if it was really true. I can only say this; in the six months I have been here I have experienced life in a way that I have never before experienced. In another place, Jesus says that He came not only to give us life, but He came to give us abundant life. That is the way I would describe our life here....abundant.

A friendly little burro who wanted to be petted. I think he would have hopped in the pick up with us.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! So exciting! Things are really picking up there. You must be talking about being up at Mersedes mom's place. I loved it there. Tell my little Harold I say hello. The other kids there as well. I can not wait to come back and experience more. Prayers for you all. Love you. Amy

    ReplyDelete