Monday, August 19, 2013

A personal account from my sister who recently visited.

Hi, I'm Amy, Michael's sister. I live in Maine. I recently had the wonderful opportunity to visit Michael and his family in Honduras. I love to travel and knew I would enjoy it very much.

Pottery in Por Venir
 Of course the highlight of my trip was seeing my nephews whom I love very much. As far as the actual Honduran experience went… I loved it!  Seeing what Michael and Barbe are doing there, the way they are working and helping more unfortunate people than themselves was very inspiring. I too would love to do that.

Being able to see where the water purification systems are being installed for entire villages is overwhelming. Just knowing the difference something like this makes in people’s lives and health is astounding. If each of us would donate a few dollars to these projects it would be amazing what we could do. Aside from the physical and material side of helping, the spiritual help Michael and Barbe are offering people who desire it is filling a great need also. There are so many who are hungry for the presence of God in their lives there. I wonder; is it because when people have so much less that their realization for the need of something more is stronger? I was touched by these people’s desire to serve God. So much so that I had a true change of heart in that area of my own life. Thank you Jesus for loving every person on this earth. I was struck by how grateful and uncomplaining these amazing Honduran people are. We are truly a spoiled nation full of complaining and selfishness. I am speaking about myself as well.

Typical house and scenery in HN
I had the opportunity to meet many people. From other missionaries who feel a calling to help others in all different areas and ways, to Hondurans. All of them were wonderful, warm, loving people. I have to say I did not meet a single person I didn't love. I am a huge lover of children. So, as you can imagine, I was gripped with emotion over every beautiful child I came into contact with. Some more than others, but all tore at my heart. If I could have taken home as many as I wanted to, my house would have about a hundred running around in it now.

One of the girls from church.
I have to say also that I was so impressed with my three teenage nephews. Mark, Ben and Thomas are true troopers. They get involved in helping and show true caring in action as well as spirit. I am so proud of them. I am proud of my sister in law. it is not easy adjusting to life in a  another country, not to mention the language barrier. She deserves an applause. I am proud of my brother Mike. He is working so hard to carry out all he feels he should do and be. I am sure God is very proud of these soldiers. I know I am.

Now… about the country itself. Beautiful! Very beautiful!  The mountains and greenery, the flowers and fruit, so close to paradise in a so many ways. Am I going to visit again? Absolutely! I am already looking forward to my next visit. I look forward to seeing all my new friends again and of course my family. I encourage everyone to open their minds and hearts and consider visiting there too. It’s a big, beautiful world out there.

Sunday's farmers market Barrio in San Juan
A boat on Lago Yojoa 

From Mike:

We had an awesome time with Auntie Amy too. She just fell into step with everything we were doing. I was really amazed at how much Spanish she remembered from our Guatemala days. Bring Terry with you next time! 

2 comments:

  1. I truly enjoyed reading this. what a wonderful thing you are doing over there, And Amy it sounds like you had a great experience. something maybe all of us should experience ourselves to make us more appreciative of what we have. great job And God bless. Pam Waite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pam, Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. It is great to be here. It was aweesome to have Amy here too.

    ReplyDelete