Sunday, April 17, 2016

30,000 + (2)

In my last blog, 30,000 +, I revisited just one of my post that continues to receive hits over three years later. There are a couple other post that I'd like to comment on today.

My most read post of the 148 I have written is Live like a King on $1200 a Month.  This post is visited almost daily. I imagine folks who read this are looking to beat the "system" or looking to retire in a place where their social security dollar goes further, or like us, just wanting to do life different(ly).

I recently read a post in another blog where the writer claimed that it took $110,000 USD per year to live in El Salvador, Honduras' neighbor to the west which, admittedly, does enjoy a slightly better economy. Even still, I was shocked to say the least. (Also understood; should you choose to live in one of Honduras' 2 larger cities, cost will be higher than we experience in Siguatepeque) However, here are few things I want to mention to help keep things in the proper perspective which, as I wrote in my last post, is of paramount importance to retain.

  • Many Americans moving here choose to live in very elite neighborhoods because in comparison to the US it is such a bargain. However, in general we would NEVER be able to live in a similar neighborhood in the US on our incomes. (Here is where proper perspective is needed.)
  • Most Americans, because we do want a comparable lifestyle to the US, have multiple vehicles, something that only the very rich here enjoy, which does elevate our expenses. (I would estimate that 80% of Hondurans have NO vehicle)
  • We enjoy internet and cable TV packages with US programming in English.
  • We shop at the "American" style food stores and buy the foods we love.
  • We eat out often.
  • We go to the movies.
  • We fly back and forth to the States a lot.
  • Perspective/reality check: The GNI per capita income in Honduras is $2,270 yearly. (avg. middle class personal income is $400 -600 per month.) Question: If you live in Honduras, what is your monthly income for comparison purposes and what income category does that place you in?
Most Americans that come to Honduras actually want to live in "little America" here, and because it possible to do that at bargain basement prices, it is easy to end up living an "upper class" lifestyle on a "middle class" North American income. Which actually makes my point, that living in Honduras, no matter what level of life style you choose, is an incredible bargain. 

Have you seen pictures of the house we live in which is in the best "barrio" in Siguatepeque? Granted, we live here because the Spanish Institute of Honduras operates from here, but even still, we could afford this on even a minimal American income. Here's the question; could I as a small business owner in the US live in an equivalent house in an equivalent neighborhood? I think not!
Myth Busted:
I stand by my original post; you can live like a King here in Honduras on $1200 a month.

La Casa Grande

Another post that has received many views is Carlos; the baby in the bag. Carlos is now "Carlitos" and is the light of our lives. 

Each Easter Las Alfombras de Comayagua is viewed repeatedly.

Las Alfombras

Another much viewed post is Avoiding the God Complex. I find it interesting that many of my more read post are usually the ones I write to try to keep my self honest and with a proper perspective. Or the ones that I have written with open honesty. Writing Naked, A Boring Life?, just to mention a few.

So there you have it. Here's something honest and true. It's April, my least favorite month of the year to be in Honduras. It's hot, dry, dusty and smokey here in Siguatepeque and will be for all the month of April and some of May. The air hangs heavy and oppressive. I say this so that I won't leave you with the impression that Honduras is the Garden of Eden. It isn't. I don't write for a travel blog trying to sell you a "lifestyle". I freely acknowledge that Honduras has many problems and many issues that Hondurans and foreigners alike must deal with. But I will say this; we are blessed to be here.  

No comments:

Post a Comment