Friday, April 15, 2016

30,000 +

Each time I have reached 10,000 new page views I have reviewed and commented on some of my old blog post and shared some of my personal favorites. This week, according to my blogger stats, I surpassed 30,000 visits from folks around the world.

Some of my post, even after several years, continue to be read regularly. I'm assuming this happens because the title or content comes up in an internet search. One of these is Road signs: are they really necessary?  I wrote that post on July 18, 2012. We had decided to move to Honduras for "six months or so", but we weren't planning on leaving until January of 2013. I was beginning to feel overwhelmed by the amount of things we needed to do before leaving. Things like closing down my business, renting the house, selling, storing or throwing away so many things we had collected over the years. The expenses we were incurring to make the move were mounting into the thousands of dollars cutting into our savings. On top of this, we were planning on driving to Honduras. Many people thought we were crazy and I was beginning to doubt if our decision was the right one. And then...at least for me....something happened that assured and reassured me that we were still on the right road.

What I realized was that so much of why I needed to be reassured was because of my own personal fear. Fear for our safety, both bodily and financially. Fear of failure itself. Fear of a loss of respect should we fail. Fear of the unknown. I learned a lot about myself in those months leading up to our departure. Below is an excerpt from my post, Fear; What's to worry about? Three years later I am even more convinced that what I wrote is true.
"What are the ill effects of fear.  Fear is often exhibited through self protectionism. Because we are afraid of being hurt we refuse to love or to trust unconditionally. We look down on and deride those who are different than ourselves hoping to cover our own insecurities. Because we are afraid of the future, we are unable to live for the day. Because we are afraid of poverty tomorrow, we hoard today and call it good stewardship. Fear of rejection keeps us from giving of ourselves wholeheartedly. We often hide the fear behind jokes, doctrines, rules, masks and it is that same fear that keeps us there, in hiding." 
Looking back now I wonder what I was worried about. Everything has turned out just fine. We have a great life here. Of course I understand it could have been different. We could have been robbed in Mexico. We might of have had to return to the US broke and disillusioned. I thank God that none of my fears came to pass. On the other hand, who knows what life may have dealt us if we had listened to our fears and stayed home.

As the owners of the Spanish Institute of Honduras, Barbe and I welcome a constant stream of new missionaries arriving in Honduras each month. Their first stop is language school. Here is where they face their own fears, where they learn to match the realities of life here in Honduras with the often false expectations and fears they have arrived with. Some approach this new life as a grand adventure, others with timidity. Eventually, all either adjust to the "new normal" or they return home.

Here is some of what I have learned over the past few years about managing fear and transition, this through my own experience and from being intimately involved in helping over 200 new missionaries adjust to a new life.

  • Keeping things in perspective is the greatest thing you can do to help yourself adjust. 
  • Matching the actual reality here with the expectations you arrived with.
  • Facing your fears honestly, and that means facing yourself.
  • Enjoying all of the new experiences, the ups and the downs.   

I could add many other things to this list; but why these?

Because perspective keeps us grounded. A leaky faucet in Honduras leaks exactly the same as one in Texas. Flat tires and car problems are part of life...anywhere. Sometimes we really can't find chocolate chip cookies when we want them, even at Walmart. Bad things happen to good people everywhere in the world. We are not suddenly "special" because we now live in a third world country and we should not allow ourselves or others to elevate us to that status.

Matching reality to your expectations. This is huge. Over and over I hear people complain about the how bad the driving is here, that the heat is horrendous, that the safety issues keep them trapped behind walls, the bugs are... Here is the reality. Mosquitoes in Maine are actually far worse and larger than in Siguatepeque. Many of the southern states are actually hotter and more humid than most of Honduras, yes...even San Pedro Sula. Crime is everywhere, just watch the news. The sooner one actually grounds themselves in reality and let's go of what is false, the sooner everything stops being a big deal and a huge trial. Trust me, the life we Gringos have here is REALLY GOOD. Shhh, don't tell anyone. We wouldn't want folks back home to have to adjust their misconceived ideas to meet reality too.

Facing yourself and your fears. There is no better time to do this than during transition. Fear, change and the unknown bring out the best and the worst in us. It did in me and it has in everyone else I've seen. We can run, but we can't hide. Everywhere I go, there I am. Truths. So use this opportunity to get to know yourself. For those of you with faith in God, let Him use this time to change and transform you.

Enjoy it. As my globe trotting friend Bob Beckett says, "After the pain of the event is over, it's all about the stories." This philosophy has literally changed my life. Wrap your arms around each new experience. Inhale it, make it yours and part of who you are becoming.

Well, when I started writing this morning I had no intentions of going in this direction or rambling on for so long. I still haven't commented on my top, most read post Live Like a King on $1200 a Month. Talk about perspective and reality! Yeah, I definitely need to comment on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment