Sunday, October 6, 2013

A Boring Life?

It's a little after 2 am and I'm wide awake, well that may be an exaggeration, but I'm awake. I'm awake for the most part because our new 7 month old donkey Alfredo is awake and I think he's missing his mommy. He's clumping around the yard under my bedroom window ...do donkeys sleep at night?... making this very strange whistling sound that turns into what may some day be called manly braying, but right now sounds like he's in puberty and his voice is beginning to change. I mean, I don't really know if donkeys go through puberty, actually...I don't really know a whole lot about donkeys. So why is one outside my window tonight?

Alfredo and Tiger getting  acquainted.
See, I've always had a problem with impulsiveness and crazy ideas. That's why I typically won't go new car window shopping, or to the pound, or play the stock market (well, maybe) because things always seem like a really good idea at the time. I'm not like that in everything I do, thankfully. Business is serious business, deciding to move here to Honduras was a well thought through process over several years. But, the things that make life fun...and interesting....and enjoyable....and rewarding....and unique, that's a different story. And so Alfredo is here because I had this crazy idea of bringing people from all over Honduras and the United States together to help buy and share in this little donkey who needed a home.

And I'm so glad that there are at least 60 other totally crazy people out there who thought it would be wild and crazy to own part of a Honduran donkey too, and jumped at the chance.  

I had a conversation with a friend tonight on this topic. I told her that I refuse to live a boring life, a safe life, one without risks or fun moments. She completely agreed. I used to take life very seriously, and I still do in many ways, but the older I get the more I realize that life is also meant to be enjoyed. Life is meant to be lived, savored, not stored away or gulped down. A little adventure, a little risk, a big, greasy hamburger, a wrong turn, an impulsively generous gift from the heart, a sabbatical, a pet donkey...yeah, these things are the spice of life, the bacon in the BLT. Oh, yeah, now we're talkin'.

Live life to the fullest! Live life without regrets! Live in the moment, it's all we really have!











Buy a Donkey

Drawing by Benjamin Wolfe



No comments:

Post a Comment