Sunday, September 2, 2012

Are You a Square Peg in a Round Hole?

I am. If there's one thing I have learned over the past several years it's this; I do not fit into the realm of "normal" or the business as usual mold. Sometimes, truth be told, I'm not sure I fit in anywhere. I'm not as far out as some people I know, but I'm always dreaming, searching, questioning and thinking...usually out side the box. I think it makes some people a bit nervous, maybe even uncomfortable. They're not sure what to think of the questions I ask, the things I question, the status quo I challenge, the things I do and the way I do them. Like going to Honduras, for instance. It used to bother me.

When I first became a Believer, I had some of the most amazing men as mentors. People like J. Vernon McGee, Ravi Zacharias, R.C. Sproul, James Dobson and Woodrow Kroll, but the man who meant the most to me, the one who's exuberance for life, who's love for God and for people challenged me the most, was Charles Swindoll.

In that first year of new life I listened to more inspired messages from Godly, spirit filled men than most people listen to in a lifetime. As I drove across the United States in my semi truck I was able to listen to these men via the airwaves day after day. These were and are men of great faith, who believed deeply in the things they spoke of and who themselves have accomplished much. These men are the ones who shaped me, who mentored me. I am very grateful for that time in my life and to these men.

My wife knows how much I respect Chuck Swindoll and she knows how much I have struggled with square peg, round hole syndrome. Several years ago she gave me, as a gift of encouragement, the article reproduced below, framed. It has hung on the wall over my desk until recently. I have read it often. Thank you Barbe for your love and encouragement and thank you Chuck for the impact you continue to have on my life.

So, here's to all of you dreamers, thinkers and askers of questions, but most of all...here's to you radical doers!

No comments:

Post a Comment