Sunday, August 19, 2012

Fear: What's to worry about?

I've been thinking a lot about fear lately. We've had many people concerned for our safety when we tell them we are driving to Honduras. These concerns come from well intentioned people who love us. To be honest, I have had to work through the same fear myself and it still occasionally pops up. But what is fear and why does it so often rule our lives and limit our choices? How can we combat it? What are some of the ill effects of  fear?

I think "fear" comes in different forms for different people and exhibits itself in different ways. Fear of the unknown, fear of the future, fear of rejection, fear of being different (peer pressure), fear of poverty, fear of being wrong; the list goes on and on. Fear is very often illogical. Mostly it has no basis in reality. It's the monster under our bed. It's the burning in the belly, the sense of impending doom, the reason we don't...

Why does fear often rule our lives and limit our choices? Because we allow it to. Bottom line. We have, as a society, become obsessed with personal safety and protection and because of that, fear has seeped into other areas of our lives. The what ifs are always there waiting in the shadows of our minds. What if the plane crashes. What if my child is abducted. What if... If you are over 40, stop and look at the changes in the attitudes towards safety that have occurred since you were a child. Have we allowed personal safety and the fear it creates to rule our lives? I think so.

How can we combat fear? One word...perspective. This past week I crossed the great state of Nebraska. Interstate 80 follows the N. Platte river and much of the old Oregon Trail. At one of the rest stops I stood in the still visible ruts caused by the passage of thousands of wagon wheels only 160 years ago. I was struck by the courage these settlers must of had to brave the physical hardships of the journey, the constant threat of attack from Indians and the regular occurrence of sickness and death. Many did not make it to Oregon and yet thousands left the security of the east coast each year to follow their dreams of a better life. We must keep all things in the correct perspective. Life is uncertain. Always has been, always will be. Is it really anymore dangerous to drive through Mexico today in a car than it was to cross the continental US in a wagon? Or for that matter, is it any less dangerous to drive to your hometown Walmart? I personally know many people who have died from or who are battling cancer and know not one person who has been killed in a drug cartel shootout and yet I, without a second thought fill my stomach everyday with chemical laden, preservative, laced, processed food knowing that these things cause cancer, but I fear the "unknown" of driving through Mexico, even though the Sate Dept's. travel site says that "millions of US citizens visit Mexico safely each year and over 150,000 US citizens cross the border each day." Perspective.

What are the ill effects of fear.  Fear is often exhibited through self protectionism. Because we are afraid of being hurt we refuse to love or to trust unconditionally. We look down on and deride those who are different than ourselves hoping to cover our own insecurities. Because we are afraid of the future, we are unable to live for the day. Because we are afraid of poverty tomorrow, we hoard today and call it good stewardship. Fear of rejection keeps us from giving of ourselves wholeheartedly. We often hide the fear behind jokes, doctrines, rules, masks and it is that same fear that keeps us there, in hiding.

I don't know how safe or unsafe travel in Mexico really is. It may be that we will meet with disaster. I hope and pray that is not the case. In a few moments I will publish this post, get behind the wheel of my tractor trailer and drive down the highway. Out here on the road for the past 28 years I've seen enough to know that it can be dangerous. I don't dwell on the danger. I rarely even think about it. It's what I'm used to. It's called Perspective.

I want to live my life without fear. I really do. The Apostle Paul says that, "Perfect love cast out fear". Imagine a world where there is no fear because "perfect love" has driven away every reason to fear. Imagine a world where rejection is unknown, bigotry and prejudice...gone. Cruelty no longer exist. Generosity and caring, the social norm. Edmund Burke is attributed with saying, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." I don''t know about you, but I'm tired of doing nothing. I'm tired of evil prevailing.  I like Michelle Perry's thoughts on the subject, "Darkness flees when light shows up". I want to show up. Wanna' join me?

5 comments:

  1. "Fear not for I am with you" This is the voice we need to hear. I refuse to be afraid... I made that decision and choice one morning when I was only 14 years old,I will follow where he leads me even if it is into the mouth of the lion. I will live for Him. Do what you feel called to do and surround yourself with people of faith. Not "yes men" but not "not men" either, people of faith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing from the heart and mouth of our Risen Lord and Savior! In Him all things are "Yes"!

      Delete
  2. Last Sunday, our pastor had teens who had just returned from a week at camp give testimonies. Several of them spoke of renewing and deepening their commitment to follow Christ. Afterward the pastor cautioned them to be aware that such action basically placed a target on their backs. As followers of Christ, we have an enemy who doesn't want to see wholehearted devotion to Him being lived out. I'm sure that your family's very public obedience to God's call on your lives qualifies you all for the same target. But remember, though "your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion seeking someone to devour," we know the God who shuts the mouths of the lions!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for these thoughts. I'm so excited for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all of you who commented on this post. I love hearing from YOU! (I will get the spelling right :>)

    ReplyDelete