Tuesday, May 28, 2013

A Trip to Yoro with Don Ramon

Don Ramon, Mark Wolfe and David Lindner

Meet Don Ramon. He is a breed of sheep who has hair instead of wool. For several years he has been "The Man" here at SEBCAH's sheep project. (Don, the o is a long o, is used in Latin America as a sign of respect) He has been "The Man" here so long in fact, that Roger thought it would be best to send him to Yoro to trade places with Don Jorge.

Don Jorge
 So, long story short, I needed to go to Yoro to see a couple of guys who want 3 wells drilled. One of the men has a dairy farm where he also keeps some sheep. Roger thought it would be a good idea to combine the 8 hour round trip  to look at wells with sheep trading. So he very politely asked me if I would mind if we brought along Don Ramon. He assured me that sheep urine does not smell and that he would build a wooden cage with a floor to hold, and contain, both Don Ramon and his urine. I agreed, with some reservation. Well, for various reasons the containment cage did not get built. Nevertheless, at 6 pm on a Friday morning Roger, Mark, David and I found ourselves out in the early morning fog trying to corner and rope Don Ramon and get him into the van. An hour later (he was very elusive) we had him in the back, nicely surrounded by a beautiful, wire cage which would have been perfect if it had had a floor. We did however, have the foresight to lay down a blue plastic tarp and cover it with sawdust. As we left Siguat, Don Ramon immediately began to paw at the tarp...which he did for the next four hours in spite of our constant shush, shush, shushing. He was even able to paw while bracing himself in the sharp corners and over the potholes, which the road to Yoro has in abundance.
 
Eventually we did make it to Yoro, released an elated Don Ramon who probably was thinking this was his last ride, loaded Don Jorge into the van and walked up to the proposed well site. Shortly afterwards, here came Don Jorge, headed back to his girls. As it was very hot out, I had left the back doors open and he had managed to push the entire cage out the back of the van and escape. I will only say this, Don Jorge can run like the wind. We finally cornered him again with the help of the farm hands. Truth be told, they did most of the running. Did I mention it was very hot? 
 
The dairy farm was very clean and well run. Below are pictures of two of the farm tractors.

A pair of oxen waiting for the cart to be loaded with manure.


















A horse, hitched to a cart who stood patiently the entire time we were there.


















Before leaving Yoro we stopped for lunch. While there, I saw this sign and had to take a photo for my brother and his wife. I was surprised to find that they are in the transportation business here as well as in the States.














On the way home, we had our first flat tire since we left Maine. We changed it at the side of the road as the sun set and trucks, motorcycles, tuk-tuks and cars rushed by.

 
Yeh, I know...you're wondering where are all the rushing traffic is. Well, you'll just have to trust me...there was!
 
Oh, and one other thing. You remember how I mentioned all the pawing going on back there on the tarp? Well, apparently the tarp lost to Don Ramon's hooves. Roger, if you're reading this, you know I love you like a brother, but I have to disagree with you. Sheep pee stinks! And I'm reminded of it -strongly- every time I open the door after leaving the van closed up in the sweltering heat. Next time, let's put the floor on the cage.
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment