Sunday, December 23, 2012

It's Been One of Those Weeks

You know what I'm talkin' about. We all have them from time to time. Up, down...good, bad. The weather hasn't helped either. It's been the same way. Beautiful snow fall turning to rainy slush. The driveway's a mess and for some reason it's hard for me to get into the Christmas spirit. Not that I've ever been particularly good at it.

I guess I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by all we need to do here and all that we will need to do when we get to Honduras. Cold feet? Not at all, just some self-doubt and questions about so many things. On the other hand, each day that goes by I am more convinced that we are doing the right thing. See what I mean? Up, down...

I think once we get on the road that will all be gone. I've never liked living in limbo. On a positive note, it looks like we have the house rented. I feel really good about these folks. I think it will be a good fit. And on Friday evening we were invited to have dinner with wonderful couple here in town whom we had never met, but with whom we have so much in common. They have traveled to Honduras many times and shared with us a wealth of advise, information and experience. Thank you Mr. and Mrs. H------ for the excellent meal, conversation and encouragement.

In a couple of  hours I will be speaking at one of the local churches. When I was invited to come and speak I asked what they would like me to talk about. I have no agenda. I'm not asking for money nor am I trying to convince anyone to come to Honduras. Over the past several years I have come to enjoy public speaking, if I have something to say that is. I enjoy connecting with the listeners, finding that common thread that connects all of us, speaking to the place where we are, the realness and the reality of life. I'm less of a preacher and more of a story teller. I find that stories often speak to our hearts in ways that nothing else does. Jesus told a lot of stories. I think I will tell them a story about a certain family who, crazy as it seems, decided to move...

1 comment:

  1. I'm just catching up on your blog. I told Barbe about a book that I think you both should read. It's called "In the Land of the Blue Burqas" by Kate McCord. It's about a woman who went to Afghanistan to help after 911. She lived there for 5 years and used stories a lot. Barbe should see if she can get it on her Kindle. (I;m not sure if I spelled the author's name right.)

    ReplyDelete