Thursday, March 7, 2013

Was It Worth It?

 
Some people have wondered if driving to Honduras was worth it. Wouldn't it have been easier to fly down and to ship our belongings in a container and buy a car here in country? It's a valid question and I would answer it in this way. Yes...there's no doubt it would be easier.

If your goal is to just get to Honduras and get started with whatever it is you are coming for - then more than likely this would be the best way for you to go.

However, if you are like me and enjoy the journey then all I can say is, "Drive!" To me, life really is about the things we experience, the memories we make and the people we meet along the way. The 23 days we spent on the road more than met all those requirements and expectations. When I think about the time we spent at Casa de Esperanza, or Costa Esmeralda and Lago Atitlan, I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

Barbe and me with Angeles @ Casa de Esperanza, Cd. Victoria, Mexico
Was it a perfect trip? Good Heavens....No! We were in that van together for 23 days and almost 4800 miles. What do you think?  We got on each other's  nerves, had some tense times and bickered with each. We had so much gear piled in the back of the van and of course it seemed that every time we needed something it was at the bottom of the pile. We weren't always happy campers. But, I wouldn't trade those memories for anything.

Barbe and our other child



















Ben, enjoying having the whole seat to himself, somewhere between here and there.


The Boys, doing what they do best! Costa Esmeralda, Mexico


















How did driving compare financially to flying and shipping? I'm not really sure. For one thing, I have yet to pay the import tax on the van. Also, having done this once I know where I could cut some expenses. Next time I would bring more items - either more of our own things, things to sell or try to combine the trip with someone else and share the cost. But, it never was about all that to begin with. The finances or the stuff, that is.

Would I do it again? Absolutely, but having done it once already I would look at it from all the above viewpoints. It really was a long trip. Exceptional, but long.


An evening walk along the Costa Esmeralda, Mexico


Barbe and me. Panajachel and Lago Atitlan, Guatemala

2 comments:

  1. Awesome Mike, glad that you all are enjoying being who you are meant to be. I have followed your journey and will continue to pray that God's Will be done in yours lives..Be encouraged that HE has His Hands on your family. Again thanks for sharing your lives with us here in Maine. Many Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad that so many people joined with us in this journey. Thanks to all of you!

      Delete