Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Awake at 2 am

So, I'm wide awake at 2 am. My mind is in high gear...again. Yesterday I spent several hours trying to work through the details of driving from Maine to Honduras, through Mexico and Guatemala, with a vehicle pulling a trailer loaded with personal effects. Tourist visa, be sure it's marked "transmigrante". Temporary permit to import vehicle, be sure to cancel it when you leave the country or else... Border crossings, which one is the least dangerous, according to the State Dept.'s website...all are bad. And then there's the dog! Shots, checkups, forms, stamps, fees. All this just to cross into Mexico. What if I've forgotten some important document and when we get to Guatemala we can't leave Mexico. What if our car is hijacked? What if this is all a huge mistake? What if, what if, what if...........

So what if we just stay home and live an ordinary life? I've asked myself that question a dozen times. A hundred dozen times. Barbe and I have debated the issue until it's become worn-out, old, tiresome. In the end, we are choosing to live life different. What about all the what ifs? In the end there's only one way to find out, isn't there?

Well, looks like I'm back to blogging. I found that I really enjoyed it last time. My first attempt at blogging was a journal of our recent two month stay in Siguatepeque, Honduras. This one will follow us, The Wolfe Family, over the next several months as we get ready to leave for Honduras and the trip there. I guess I probably should explain how we got here, leaving Maine and heading for Honduras that is.

It's a long story. Probably too long for here anyway. I'll try to explain in bits and pieces. For now I 'll just say this. The reason we're going, if I'm really honest with myself, is part genetics, part environment, part faith, part boredom, part vision, part spiritual...hmmm. If I'm completely honest with myself and others, I'll refuse to put an entirely "spiritual" slant on it. It's easy to do that you know. And it looks really good...to some. The Great Commission. God's call on my life. Humanitarian efforts. Oh, don't get me wrong, I really believe in all that, but after 48 years I also know myself pretty well. I'm a traveler, an entrepreneur. I'm never satisfied with the status quo, always seeking a new challenge. So when people ask us why we're moving to Honduras, Barbe and I have decided to just say that we are moving to Honduras in the same way one might move to Portland or Chicago, but while we're there...let us tell you about some of the things we hope to do.

If you want to see some of the things we want to do while we are there, check out our new website. Oh, and by the way, we'd love to have you drop by for a visit, here or in Honduras. Seriously.

So anyway, as a family we've made the commitment to move to
Honduras for one year. During that time we will be evaluating the things we are doing, the experience, the worthwhileness, the finances. At the end of that time we'll either stay or return home...or move to Colorado? or Panama? Either way, there are big changes ahead of us. Renting out the house, placing my business on hold. Selling...oh yes, there's a lot of selling going on. Property, trailers, pickups, toys, campers, boat, junk and more junk (excuse me; other people's treasure just waiting to be discovered at our yard sale). Unbelievable the things we collect. At first it's hard to part with most of the things we're selling, but after a while you begin to feel...free. That tailgate for the 1979 Ford I once owned; it's now for sale on Craig's list. So is the '72 GMC pickup. After all, am I really ever going to get around to restoring it?

Daylight has come as I've sat here writing. Looks like it's going to be a superb day. A picnic with friends this afternoon at Small's Falls and fireworks to celebrate Independence Day (a day early) in Rangeley. It's been somewhat of a tradition for us over the years. But not next year. One more of the many changes in our future and one we'll miss.


4 comments:

  1. It is 100% in our blood. I find myself feeling the same way about living life differently than just the normal 9-5. This is going to be a great adventure for you all. If it doesn't work out? Oh well you come back and start doing what you used to do again. After all you already know that can work and be successful. There is nothing to lose by trying and life is about making memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike:

    Surely, genetics plays a role in our lives. The human body is God's perfect design and when man and woman are joined together they create a person with characteristics of each, therefore it does not surprise me that you share character traits of your parents. That being said, we are also "children" of our Heavenly Father and embody the gifts given us through the Holy Spirit. You are on the path that God has chosen for you and just like your earthly father, you are stepping out with boldness.

    God Bless

    Dale and Suzi Tellefsen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your commentrs Dale. Isn't awesomme that such a mundane thing as shipping/transporting a car can introduce us to people we connect with and who have the same interest and passions. Chance? I think not.

      In that same category here's a shout out to: Mr and Mrs Berry, Mr and Mrs. Cary and Mr and Mrs Ross. Thanks to all your support and encouragement over the years as we've moved your cars back and forth to FL.

      Delete