Sunday, May 17, 2015

Mother's Day and a few random thoughts.

Last Sunday was Mother's day both here and in the US, unlike Father's day, which is is celebrated not only on different days but in different months.

Sunday, being our family's day of rest, we woke late and lazed around the house enjoying the cooler weather than we had been experiencing the past few weeks. The rains still have not arrived, missing the traditional May 3rd date by a long shot, no real surprise there (and as I write this on the 17th we still are without rain), but the skies are less smoky and the air clearer even though.

One of the things about Siguatepeque is that there are very few decent restaurant choices and those we have tend to offer the same fare, typico or typico. Personally, I much prefer to eat at the street vendors sidewalk stalls, but these aren't places one would normally take one's wife or mother on Mother's day, unless one is extremely unwise....something I have on occasion been accused of.

Instead of going out and fighting crowds of people trying to squeeze into the two nice restaurants, the boys and I decided to cook a special meal for Barbe. Del Corral, our local super market, usually has excellent ribeye steaks, well mottled with fat, tender and priced at only $4.60 per pound, so, we decided on ribeyes, baked potatoes, corn and yeast rolls. To top it all off the boys made a cheesecake, Barbe's favorite dessert. Also from the boys, a bouquet of yellow roses and homemade, handwritten cards, a family tradition.

Best Mother's day dinner in Sigua

Barbe's Boys


Flame broiled ribeye

Over all it was a beautiful, relaxing day. I'm grateful for my wife and the the mother she has been to our boys. For so many years while I was on the road she had to "hold down the fort" so to speak, homeschooling the boys and keeping things running at home. Now, here in Honduras she keeps our ever busy house/Institute running as well as taking care of 8 month old Carlitos. 



Other random thoughts.

I have been restless lately. I am once again feeling the need for travel and adventure. Honduras, as much as I love our life here, is becoming increasingly common place and normal. It's genetic and I know this and so I try to guard against it, but even still....my heart longs for the vista of new places, of never knowing what's around the next bend, of being on the move. I will be going to Roatan this week, a place I have never been...maybe that will help for awhile.

We will soon be losing two families we have been very close to here in Sigua as they prepare to move back to the US. They will leave a huge hole in our circle of friends. Ben, in particular, will be losing one of his very best friends. We are going to miss you guys, Haglers and Cadmus'.

Ben and Colby (center) with other "best buds" Grant, Jake and Gus

No comments:

Post a Comment