Thursday, February 21, 2013

We Meet the Dennings; still day 10

I really hadn't meant to spend this much time writing about our time Panajachel, but it's such a great place! We wrapped up our last day here by driving into Pana and meeting up with some really cool people. I first wrote about them in my post titled Maps: 1" Equals 500 miles and since then have followed their blog Discover. Share. Inspire.  When it comes to "living life different" and all that means; travel, adventure, earning a living, raising kids in foreign countries, humanitarian efforts...these folks are the real deal!

I knew Greg and Rachel and their five children had been living in Panajachel for several months and thought it would be awesome to meet them in person. We arranged to meet them at the home of a friend in town for an hour or two before Super Bowl. Greg and I immediately hit it off. I don't think either of us has ever met a stranger and we had so much to talk about. He is full of energy and enthusiasm and has been called the "walking antidepressant". Greg and I were so busy talking and sharing ideas I did not get to visit with Rachel much, but I feel that I have known her for a long time through following her blog. I really hope they'll stop by and spend a few days with us in Sigautepeque when they get back on the road again. I think their final destination at some point in the next few years is Tierra del Fuego...or Antarctica maybe.


Our family with the Denning family in Panajachel. I'm not sure what Barbe is looking at!
 


The boys were busy warming up for Super Bowl, playing football with all the kids. They even got in a few passes with Greg before we left. As we were getting ready to leave, we found out the van wouldn't start. Bad solenoid. I had replaced it just before leaving, but for whatever reason the new one had a loose connection inside. So every now and then, out would come the blue tarp and under the van I'd go to wiggle wires until I found the sweet spot.







Heading back to the hotel, we picked up some Super Bowl junk food and some hamburger. I sit on the veranda, cooking hamburgers while the boys watch the pregame show on our rooms "big screen" TV. Later, we all watch the game and watch the 49er's lose. Of course by now, all this is ancient history and the pain of losing is long gone.







 

No comments:

Post a Comment