Sunday, November 18, 2012

I'm a Member of a Country Club

Those of you who are country music fans will recognize my post title as the lead line in Travis Tritts' 1990 debut single, Country Club. In the song he follows a rich girl into a country club. She declines his advances by saying, "...I'm glad you asked, but I'll have to pass/Cause only members are allowed in here." He responds with, "Well I'm a member of a country club/Country music is what I love..."

Well, I'm a member of a country club too, or at least I'm staying at one. All of us are. To be truthful, we're only staying in the employee housing, but still...

This is the way it happened. We've been using part of the country club's grounds as a TDRS and staging area. It's been a sweet job as my brother and I are the only two debris trucks working in Sands Point. However, there have been a lot of power and light crews in here too and the Village Club at Sands Point has allowed them to stay in some of the buildings. I was talking with the manager and edging my way

The employee housing house

around to asking if he had room for my crews when Justin just comes right out and asks. After a moments thought, Phil said he could put us up in the employee housing building at no cost to us. Extremely generous! We even have a kitchen were we can make meals AND, at least for Jon and me, it's only a 2 minute commute.

One of the Halls
The first night we stayed here my phone rang about 8:30 pm. It was Phil inviting all of us up to the "Mansion" for a small farewell and thank you party for the power crews. Food and drink provided.

The Mansion, and for that matter all of the country club, is part of the old Guggenheim Estate. The "Mansion" which is now the clubhouse is one of the lesser mansions on the estate.


Some of the crew on the main staircase


My brother Jon schmoozing one of the big wigs


Justin gettin' down at the old baby grand



Oh, in my last post I mentioned that Vidal would be bringing pupusas for all of us for lunch. He did and they were EXCELLENT! Here we are (below) enjoying a good lunch and good conversation in a mix of Spanish and English. 

Left to right: Raul, Vidal, Eliot, Mark, Jon and Justin

2 comments:

  1. I see my Bumpa sitting with the crew on the mansion steps! Love and miss you Bumpa <3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bumpa says hi back and misses you too

    ReplyDelete